Ian is a C Suite business leader adept at CSR and ESG deploying transformational change for strategic advantage and delivering board level realisation benefit.
Ian has over 25 years’ leadership experience in Private Equity, Corporate and private enterprises ranging from SME to International conglomerates including start up and M&A.
Ian’s technological expertise encompasses a broad manufacturing base encompassing composite structures, optical, RF, Microwave, electronics, PCBA, industrial engineering and control systems, semi-conductors and components across aerospace, defence, security, space, medical, communications, instrumentation, automotive and energy sectors.
Ian has led businesses recognised for business excellence and innovation with Queens Awards for Enterprise: International Trade 2019 and for Enterprise: Innovation 2020. He has also been a Regional Finalist as Director of the Year 2019 with the Institute of Directors.
- Strategic analysis, direction and growth.
- Transformational change management, turnaround and delivery.
- M&A due diligence, pre and post identification and assessment, integration.
- Private Equity relationship management and stakeholder management.
- Technology and Product Innovation routes to growth.
- Operational Excellence.
- ESG and CSR.
- Technical start up organisations.
- Revised the Strategic Plan against PE financial objectives and successfully led and generated immediate turnaround savings of $5M and $10M p/a through consolidation and organisational reshaping of fifteen manufacturing sites across the US, Canada, Central America, UK, and Europe to nine core sites aligned to a revised strategic and operational plan encompassing capital investment, automation, ERP consolidation and resource efficiency.
- Co-developed an HR-Business Partner model for improved management and employee development, communication, and engagement with global adoption leading to increased retention.
- Initiated and led a strategic VSM productivity project at high volume manufacturing sites leading to a reduction in process time by 35% and lead time reduction from 10 weeks to 6 weeks.
- Generated over $5M in unidentified program revenue through alignment of cross-site product development teams and adapting selling and marketing strategies into adjacent markets.
- Established a volume design and automated manufacturing centre of excellence for commercial space communication products in the North of England generating revenues of $30M+ p/a.
- Achieved business excellence recognition receiving a Queens Award for Enterprise: International Trade 2019 and a Queens Award for Enterprise: Innovation 2020.
- Formulated, and steered Group stakeholders into developing technologies for the adjacent Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite communications market culminating in personally negotiating contract values over $100M and becoming a global disruptor in the sector.
- Teledyne Defence Limited, Director of Sales & Business Development, 11/2006 – 11/2011
- General Manager, Filtronic Components Limited, 10/1997 – 11/2006
- Contracts & Deputy General Manager, Thermal Engineering Limited, 06/1995 – 09/1997
- Chief Engineer, Royal Navy, 09/1984 – 05/1995
- Chartered Director & Fellow, Institute of Directors (CDir) (FIoD)
- Association of Project Management Professional (APMP)
- Sc. (Hons) 2.1 Engineering
Non-executive director of several start-up SME healthcare consultancy and distributorship businesses from 2008 to 2018.